Frequently Asked Questions

I want to organise a clean up at my local creek, who should I contact?

Search online to see if there is a catchment group in your area, they will be able to provide advice/assistance. Alternatively, contact your local councillor and they will direct you to the information you need.

I witnessed someone dumping waste at my local park, what should I do?

Illegal dumping can incur heavy fines and represents a health and environmental hazard to our neighbourhoods and waterways. Call 13 QGOVor go to http://www.ehp.qld.gov.au to report this as soon as possible.

At our local playground, there is only one drinking tap and it is broken – who should I report it to?

Healthy Waterways have developed the “Water on Tap” site (waterontap.org) which provides users with local tap locations and allows you to report a fault. Alternatively, contact your local Council to see if they can help.

I am a tertiary student and I would like to gain some experience at Healthy Waterways. Who do I contact?

Healthy Waterways takes Interns on a project-basis as required. Please check our Careers section for more information and submit your details for consideration.

Who do I contact to report sick or injured wildlife?

Please contact RSPCA Queensland on 1300 ANIMAL

We are hosting a Connect to Your Creek Week event and want to get some ideas on activities other Community groups are hosting. How can we find out?

Our website can provide some great ideas, visit our Connect to Your Creek Week online page. Our Case Studies section of the Report Card Map is another great source of inspiration, detailing many award winning initiatives being carried out in the community!

How do I find out what our local council is doing about the health of our waterways?

By visiting their website, most councils will detail current waterway projects there. Alternatively, visit our Report Card Map and view the CASE STUDIES to read about multiple projects on the go in South East Queensland.

A local developer has cleared his land and caused mud to run onto the road during recent storms, what should I do?

Construction sites in South East Queensland are regulated by the State Planning Policy and required to manage stormwater runoff during all stages of development. This is also deemed an offence under the Environmental Protection Act (EPA). Please contact your local council to report this incident as sediment presents a serious threat to the health of our waterways.

What can I do to help look after the health of my local waterway?

There are many ways you can help. Making simple behavioural changes such as mulching your garden and choosing cloth instead of plastic bags at the supermarket can make a huge difference. Visit our How You Can Help page via the link below for more ideas.

What is sediment and why is it harmful to waterways?

Sediment is soil or mud that carries harmful chemicals and litter into our catchments during heavy rainfall and erosion. It reduces water clarity and can smother aquatic habitats or lead to increased algal blooms, impacing on human health and our delicate ecosystems.

How do I report a pollution incident?

Please contact your local water utility to report a sewage spill or your local government to report other pollution incidents.

What should I do if I come into contact with potentially polluted water?

If you come into contact with a potentially polluted waterway, it is advisable to wash with soap and clean water as soon as possible. Pay particular attention to any open cuts to prevent infection.

What should I do if I get ill after contact with a waterway?

If you experience stomach upsets or infections after contact with a waterway, please visit your doctor for medical advice.

Who is most vulnerable to becoming ill from contact with polluted water?

Certain people may be more vulnerable to contracting illness and infection than others. Children under five years old, the elderly, people with compromised immune systems and people with open cuts are generally most at risk.